Dec. 19th, 2006
I watched a DVD of the 1973 3rd Test between England and the West Indies yesterday. What a lot has changed! Things I noticed:
- Cricketers were thinner. No weight training I guess.
- The hair! OMG Bob Willis and Bernard Julien. Marie Antoinette would have been impressed.
- Much shorter run ups.
- Pitch invasions. WTF, every time anything happened and the police didn't beat anybody up.
- Batting. Much more rapier, far less bludgeon.
- Field placings. What price Ricky Ponting ever giving one of his bowlers 5 slips and 4 short legs? Or letting an offspinner bowl with 3 shortlegs and noone close on the off?
- The clothes. Did I ever dress like that. Please God No!
- Lack of commercialism. No logos on the clothing. Tiny ones on the bat. Minimum signage in the ground.
- Richie Benaud. Some things never change.